The original gate was documented in 1273 as the “porta del borgo di San Pietro, insta quam est via qua itur versus Sanctam Trinitatem” (the gate of the suburb of Porta San Pietro, at the start of the road that leads to SS Trinità). It was rebuilt in ca. 1490 during the construction of the adjacentConvento di San Girolamo: the enclosed space above the new gate was part of the convent. Cardinal Alessandro Riario rebuilt it again during the reign of Pope Gregory XIII. The empty niches to the sides of the inner arch (photographed here) originally housed statues of SS Peter and Paul.