GetCOO

Santa Maria del Torrione

The church was built in 1730 on the "Zancana Tower". It is octagonal. Inside we find the image of the " Madonna of Sweat", painted on a tablet of pine wood no later than the 15th century. In 1789 the church was virtually rebuilt from the ground almost to the exclusion of the three chapels, which remained unchanged. Animator of these restructuring was Don Gabriele De Roca, a former Jesuit. In 1790 the Confraternity of Our Lady of the Tower was suppressed and the church passed to the City. In 1828 the church opened for worship after many vicissitudes.



image