GetCOO

Sinagoga

The Synagogue stands close to the city centre, near the Teatro Verdi and the church of S. Andrea. It was inaugurated in September 1595, and is still used for worship. Jews are known to have been in Pisa at least since the end of the 14thcentury and the building that once occupied the space where the Temple now stands was already let to a family of Israelites in 1434. The early nucleus of the Synagogue was basically just one house but later other rooms and storerooms were added, allowing a kosher butcher and baths for ritual ablutions to be opened adjacent to it.



image