GetCOO

St. Basil's Cathedral

The Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed, commonly known as Saint Basil's Cathedral, is a church in Red Square. The building, now a museum, was built from 1555–61 on orders from Ivan the Terrible and commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan. The original building, known as Trinity Cathedral, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth, central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). The church was completely and forcefully secularized in 1929 and remains a federal property of the Russian Federation. It has been part of the Moscow Kremlin and Red Square UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990.



image