GetCOO

Teatro Verdi

On 12th November 1867 the city of Pisa inaugurated the Regio Teatro Nuovo, situated in a part of town where the street plan and sanitary arrangements had recently been modernized. The idea of a new theatre for the town had been circulating since 1830 but the committee elected to choose an architect only came to anagreement in 1864 and adopted the plan by Andrea Scala. The painter Annibale Gatti was chosen to decorate the ceiling of the Ballroom (now the concert hall) with a fresco of The Triumph of Love. Later on, this artist painted the drop-curtain depicting Goldoni in Pisa Reciting a Sonnet to the Arcadi Alfei in the Garden of Palazzo Scotto.



image